Friday, August 1, 2008

Out West Road Trip: Part 3, Black Hills

Now we head back east to the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota. This place has much of the wildlife, and many (but by no means all) of the stunning physical features that we found in Yellowstone, along with a lot of history and more recreational attractions. If I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit just one of the two areas, I would choose the Black Hills.

What do I love so much about the Black Hills? In a word (or two), Mt. Rushmore.

Who doesn't recognize this national landmark? They have a wonderful lighting ceremony each night, with a presentation and video about the carving of the monument and all it represents that has given me chills and tears each time I've seen it. We were trying to describe what the program would be like to the kids:

Me: It will make you want to stand up and wave your flag and sing "God Bless America"!
Bethany (TOTALLY serious): Oh no, I KNEW I should have packed my flag!

But then there is also the amazing Sylvan Lake that we hiked and climbed around,

and the hair raising awe inspiring Needles Highway.

I learned that our kids did not inherit my fear of heights when I went off on my own to get a good angle on the Needle's Eye. The kids and Lee had disappeared once I completed my mission, but I knew that my ears would soon reveal their whereabouts. Sure enough, a few minutes later I heard "Hi Mom!" It was Ben. And he was WAAAYY up there.

There was no telling how they got there. I decided Lee must have thought I needed to sharpen up my prayer life. "That's what dads are for," I kept telling myself. And seriously, they had so much fun, and lived to tell about it.

We also had a great time touring the Big Thunder Gold Mine and panning for gold afterwards. It was a very cool way to learn some of the history of the development of the area.


Next time I will tell you my best kept secret about the Black Hills. I know. You're on the edge of your seat.

For some other great vacation photo stories, click here:


If you came here from I Heart Faces and want to see the rest of the "Out West Road Trip" including Yellowstone, the links are below. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Aunt Julie said...

I love the pixes, and I doubly LOVE the fact that you're blogging on the road! The one place I desperately want to see is Mt. Rushmore. I hope to make it there soon.

Tracy P. said...

Well, I have to admit that I didn't do this on the road. Left the laptop at home. (But did jump online on my husband's a couple of time when we were gone.) You should definitely check out my next post if you're thinking of going there!

Givinya De Elba said...

Looks Lovely Tracy! Thanks for coming to Killing A Fly and leaving a comment. It gave me the opportnity to pop over her and see your lovely pictures. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Tracy, seeing your photo of Sylvan Lake reminded me of the trip my parents & I took to the Black Hills many years ago. We stayed in the Sylvan Lake Lodge and found out that staying right next door to us was Yvonne DeCarlo (Mrs. Munster from the old TV show). We never did get to see her in person but slipped a note under her door. The next morning she had slipped a note & an autographed photo under our door. A fun memory...

Debbie said...

I have never seen any of those places in person as they seem so far away to me here in Virginia. It is soo fun to see your pictures!

Puna said...

I would love to go to Mt. Rushmore one day. The photos are beautiful.