Monday, August 18, 2008

Cowboy Caviar

I have never posted a recipe before.  My husband loves the tried and true, which is fine with me. I prefer not to have to think that much about what's cooking.  My favorite recipes have 4-6 ingredients, and I know them all by heart.

THIS recipe is different.  It's like a party in your mouth--it will make your tongue dance! Seriously.  So I thought you should have it. 

(Just so you know, I don't speak "recipese", so you're getting it the way I wrote it on the back of my grocery list when I got it from my friend on the phone.  It will work.)

Here goes:

2 chopped avocados
1 chopped tomato
1 small chopped onion
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely (to taste)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 Mexican (or fiesta) corn, rinsed and drained
1/4 to 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (to taste)

Mix the above ingredients together.

Dressing:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 to 1/3 cup oil (I use olive oil--original recipe calls for 1 cup.  See what you think!)
1/2 t. salt
hot sauce to taste

Pour dressing over other mixture, stir together and chill.  Serve with the scoopy kind of tortilla or corn chips.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just stopping by for the first time. I found you from Debbie's site which I love.

I am in awe at your recipe here, its one I use often (minus the avocados). Sometimes I add chicken and cheese but its a great combo!

Debbie said...

I love it! I love the party in your mouth statement. So descriptive.

Ok my friend, I am going to feature Maryland and Minnesota BOTH on WEDNESDAY, August 20. Are you ready?

I truly truly appreciate all your support and encouragement.

S'more of my Thoughts said...

Ooooo, this sounds good. I'll definitely try it!! I swung over from Debbie's blog ;-)

Heather said...

OH you're never going to believe this! I was asking my friends the other day if anyone had the recipe for cowboy caviar and they all looked at me like I'd lost my mind!!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Aunt Julie said...

This is a great recipe! We're doing Texas bbq this week--I think I'll try it!

Tracy P. said...

Glad I could help you out Heather! Don't you love it when that happens? :-)

Unknown said...

Mmmm... ya sure dat soundsa gut!

(I'm practicing my Minnesotan for tomorrow)

StitchinByTheLake said...

This sounds wonderful Tracy. I needed something to take to a friend's house so this will be it! blessings, marlene

CaraBee said...

This sounds so yummy! I will definitely be trying this out the next time I need a dip fix!

New Girl on Post said...

This looks delicious! I know my husband and I would love this. I'm so writing this one down.

Marla said...

thank you...thank you... this is my favorite kind of food...

Our Crazy Happy Family said...

This is such a great recipe...I have used it plenty (I have tweeked the ingredients a bit for my tastes) but people eat it so quick! I always think I made too much and then I realize I did not make enough!!!

Jill said...

Wow - that looks delicious! Now that I have my stuff, I think I must give this a try!