Thursday, April 9, 2009

Reflections on the Cross


Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 
Who, being in very nature God, 
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 
but made himself nothing, 
taking the very nature of a servant, 
being made in human likeness. 
And being found in appearance as a man, 
he humbled himself 
and became obedient to death— 
even death on a cross!
Philippians 2:5-8

I'm so glad we have a God who goes to great lengths to get our attention. He has been tapping me on the shoulder a lot this week, it would seem. 

I have noticed that from the different books and videos we sometimes use to recall what Jesus went through at the time of the crucifixion, it is easy to come away with a real disdain for the people "responsible" for Jesus's death. It is easy to be angry with them for treating our Jesus so hatefully. It is easy to think of Jesus as the victim--the perfectly innocent victim.  

But in the midst of all this, it is easy to forget that Jesus was obedient to death. He didn't go down screaming, "It's not fair!", even though it wasn't. Jesus himself said of his life, "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord." The book of Hebrews says he did it for the joy set before him.  The joy of bearing for me the weight of the consequences of sin that I was unable to bear. The joy of restoring his relationship with his people. This was no passive sacrifice, but an active one.

It's easy to get passionate about the cross. But this week I am reminded to be passionate about the right thing:  about following Jesus's example of giving up my rights, my agenda, in order to joyfully serve. 

Lord, by your grace and your power in me, let it be so.

7 comments:

Jen said...

I also love the reminder of forgiveness. "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

Joy said...

It was all planned before the foundation of the world. Last night at our Good Friday Service one of the Pastors read that passage "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord." He was our willing Sacrifice.
I pray I joyfully serve following His example too.

Joy

StitchinByTheLake said...

Happy Easter Tracy...Jesus' willingness to sacrifice Himself reminds me of what He expects from me. Not a sacrifice that great, but a sacrifice nonetheless. For me it means putting myself on the back burner and taking care of others first, even when I don't want to. And not just doing it, but doing it willingly. Sometimes that's so hard. blessings, marlene

Melissa B. said...

Have a wonderful Easter Sunday with your family, Tracy. And if you have time, BTW, don't forget Sx3 tomorrow...this seasonal salute even features a Real Prize!

Aunt Julie said...

Just beautiful...and something so appropriate to think about on Easter Sunday, too. Hope You & Yours have the Happiest of Easters, and the Bunny is good to you, too!

Marrdy said...

Have a wonderful Easter Tracy. And thanks as always for inspiring me!

stefanie said...

Such a hard lesson to learn...giving up my rights and agenda to joyfully serve. Still learning...

Well said, thanks for saying it!