Sunday, March 29, 2009

Do-over

Not long ago I posted about a couple of my "Mom-isms".  This was a corny little term I came up with off the top of my head with Very Little Thought, to describe some of the fun things I do as a mom to invest in relationship with my kids. I came up with two.

You see, around that time I had come to notice that Dad was more often the Fun One than I. In fact, I was noticing that I was spending a whole lot of time keeping track of homework assignments and enforcing the "work before play" standard, and Lee was in complete and total support. Meaning that, when the kids were done working for Mom, they got to play with Dad. I finally told him one day, "You are their reward for me!" Thankfully at that moment I could laugh about it.

Now this is no criticism whatsoever of my husband. He has a lot of "Dad-isms", and he has fabulous relationships with our kids.  He just doesn't always know what the kids need to do, and I usually just start taking care of it instead of taking the time to fill him in. When I do, he pitches right in.

So anyway, I wrote my Mom-isms post to make myself feel better, because I do fun things too.  And so do all my blog friends.  I wanted to know what they are, because maybe if I had a couple new ones to try, it would help me get out of the slave-driver mom mode.  READ: I was not feeling too good about myself.  


Well here's the funny thing.  Or sad.  I had several sweet commenters tell me they loved my ideas, but could never do the napkin cutouts.  (I bet if you had as much practice as I do, you could!)  And no one came back with any ideas of their own.  I think there was an epidemic of Low Mom Self-Esteem that day or something! 

And I got to thinking, there really should be a remedy.  Then I had an idea. Read on...

3 comments:

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

great idea!!! if only I ever did something creative around the house...I am so bad about putting them into scrapbooks that I forget about the kiddos at home!!!!

Destini said...

Very cute!
It is amazing what a small world it is! What a blessing your sil was to MckMama all the way in Senegal!
We did start the church job, we had about 2 weeks of preliminary stuff to take care of before fixtures come in. We are in the lull right now waiting for those. They are scheduled to be released from manufacturer on the 22 of April. we have an 8000 (4 on main, 4 in finished basement) sq ft house slated to be roughed next week or the following week. The builder is pushing to get it completely finished by june 15 (Ha!) That should be a 2-3 week rough, which ought to overlap with the church job. While I welcome being swamped, these are the only things on the books. Once they are done, we don't really have anything else going on as of yet. I am praying that the winter gives way to renewed interest in construction! We are praying that God would continue to provide as he has in the past. Thank you, too, for your friendship! :)

KatBouska said...

I can't do those napkins...my thing with the kids is just getting out of the house. We're cooped up all week long and on the weekends I like to have some family fun and take them somewhere special.