Wednesday, September 26, 2007

It's a mindset


"Therefore, since you have been raised with Christ, set your heart on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:1-2

Several months ago, my attention was drawn to the third chapter of Colossians. It occurred to me that if someday the tides turned, and we were oppressed like so many of our brothers and sisters throughout the world, and left without our Bibles, I would want to have memorized Colossians 3, and the first part of chapter 4. So I am going to memorize it in the weeks ahead. Anyone care to join me?! This week verses 1-2.

This stained glass cross is in the back of our church's sanctuary, and I have grown to love it over the years. It's too bad it's in the back instead of the front, but lucky for me, I am often in front singing with the praise team or choir. I am drawn into worship as I picture Christ seated at the right hand of God behind that cross--which was once ugly and hateful, but now transformed and beautiful. Transparent, it is the means by which we enter into the presence of God. He beckons us to come and sit at his feet.

We are to set our HEARTS and MINDS on things above. I noticed the repetition and the contrast. Where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. NOT on earthly things, although that is where we inevitably spend our time. When we are heavenly minded, we are MORE earthly good. Oh Lord, help me set my mind on YOU, so that you can more easily use me to impact my world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found you by accident... and I can say the find couldn't have come at a better time. I thank you for your site as it spoke to me in my own life and reminded me to focus on what it really important. This place here, although wonderful in its own way.. is not home, therfore it is not what I should be living for.. I crave to set my sights high enough that eternity out reign anything I could ever want here. Thank you for beign one of his many blessings.

Tracy P. said...

Christy,

Thanks for stopping by! It's always an encouragement to know that God uses us even in our wanderings and brings us together in so many unique ways. He is so good! I hope you'll come back again soon.

Tracy

Tracy P. said...

P.S. Let me guess--you were searching for the blogs of people who had chocolate listed as one of their interests in their profiles! :-)