Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Goodbyes are never easy

DSC_6934

This amazed me.  Yesterday it became apparent that our little hamster was in some pretty serious distress.  The kids could see that he was acting very oddly, and some online research helped us conclude that his time could be short.  

The kids have never had to process news like this before.  They asked some ifs and whys, and then moved on to other things.  Bethany disappeared into her room.  When I inquired later, she said, with a sweet smile, "I'm doing crafts."  Not long after that she came to the kitchen with pipe cleaner stems and paper blossoms, and left them on the table.

This morning when we found him still, we put him in a little container for an afternoon burial.  I asked her if she would like to finish her craft, and she nodded.  

She wanted to be ready.  But she didn't want to bring on the finality before it was time.  

DSC_3798_2

We'll miss you, Kevin.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no : (
Oh no.
Oh no.

I am sorry they had to experience this. Very sorry.

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh dear, rest in peace Kevin. And with his final act he brings important learning about sad things to Ben and Bethany. Such important lessons about life and death, but also so very painful.

I remember being about 10, sitting on the edge of my bed bawling my eyes out while my dad sat beside me with his arm around my shoulders, rationalising, "But he was only a guinea pig ..."

The pain was deep and the crying was ugly, but it helped me learn some of those hard lessons that we can't avoid. I hope B&B are doing okay.

Joy said...

I'm sorry for you all. It is hard and sad to loose our little creatures that we've grown to love. Bethany's sweet heart always shines through. hugs,
Joy

Anonymous said...

Oh...I am so sorry! Poor little Kevin. Tell Bethany & Ben I'm thinking about them.

Carla

MaryD said...

Aww. Sad, sad. Bye bye little monster. We will miss you! Hugs to B & B from me!