Saturday, February 6, 2010

Lefse making 101: the VIDEO version!


It's your lucky day! I hope you haven't been holding your breath waiting for me to show you how to make lefse. I know I promised a lesson a while back. Important things cannot be rushed.

A few things you should know:

1. Lefse (LEF-suh) is a Norwegian dish made from potatoes, and is sort of a cross between a tortilla and a crepe. It is positively yummy! Some people get it crossed up with lutefisk. Seriously? I would never do that to you.

2. All of the equipment you need for lefse making can be found here. If you are a great bargain finder and score some better deals, please leave a comment. We Scandehuvians are frugal. Since I use instant potatoes, you don't need the ricer you may find recommended as basic equipment. (A hallelujah would be in order.)

3. My personal lefse story can be found here.

4. You are highly unlikely to find equipment personalized with your child's name. That's just one of the perks of being me. (Or really, being Bethany.) Your child will probably not notice.

Lefse Recipe


Mix:

3 c. potato flakes
1c. dry milk
1 2/3 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar

Bring to a boil 3 cups water and 1 stick margarine. Pour over dry ingredients and mix. REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT.

Next day:

Add 1 1/2 cups flour, cutting in with pastry blender or knead in with your hands.

Now heat your griddle to 425ยบ, and you are ready to follow these simple steps.


8 comments:

Joy said...

Love that picture at the end.

Bravo on the video.

I need try them. I love that turning stick. It is painted so pretty. I'll probably have to use my cast iron skillet.

Boy I'd love to have a seat at that table and try Bethany's Lefse.

♥ Joy

Julie said...

hmmm, I will have to see if I can makeshift make these :)

Melissa B. said...

Thanks for the lesson! I've learned to make quite a few Norwegian "delicacies," since marrying into a Northern Wisconsin family. But usually my SIL takes care of the lefse and I do the sandbakkels. I'm going to forward her this link...priceless!

Anonymous said...

yummmmm lecker. good job Ben and Bethany

Joy said...

I like it that you can blow the picture up to full screen. I don't know if it would do it before. Maybe next Sunday night I'll put the ingredients together and make these on Presidents day while they are off from school.

I was going to make the little cups you made at Christmas and bought all the ingredients. I was going to make them the night before we left for FL for Christmas and then I read the recipe and realized it had to sit in the refrigerator for like an hour or something and well at 9:00 at night I didn't have the hour so I still have the ingredients and want to make those too.
You have too many tempting recipes on this blog Tracy.
♥ Joy

stefanie said...

I'm a 1/4 Norwegian, but I never had these!

Tracy, it was fun to hear your real voice. Funny, I never thought of that before. We who blog never hear each others spoken words....

Unknown said...

You are the coolest girl in the world! Have fun at your party tonight. I wish I could come.

Anonymous said...

It's lefse and latkes that I have trouble keeping straight. I know which is which, but when someone mentions one I sometimes draw a mental picture of the other.