Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Refreshed! (part 5): The Table

Whew, we made it through the valley. There's something about it that just leaves a girl speechless.  And well it should.

We have finally arrived at my favorite of the lessons on our retreat. Believe me, this photo does it no justice.

The image of the real shepherd leading his sheep to "the table" referred to higher ground, a table land or mesa if you will. There is more moisture there, and a far more lush place to graze, especially when the country below is hot, dry and barren. The path can be very difficult, and there are more predators along the way than there would be on the lower ground. But a feast awaits, and all will be satisfied. The shepherd will be on guard to provide protection. The sheep need only to help themselves to the meal before them.

On Saturday night of our retreat, we were given the task of brainstorming the hinderances to our following "The Shepherd". Some did so in groups, some on their own. Some were common obstacles, others deeply personal. In the end, the leader taped them up on the wall.  

Sunday morning for the worship service, a beautiful, bountiful table was prepared for communion. This was no small taste of our Savior's passion. It was a feast. And while it was not served by a person, the very table invited us to eat, drink, and be satisfied.  

But behind the table was the wall of hinderances to our following. Some of them were quite ugly. Abuse. Death of a loved one. Illness. The loss of a dream. Depression. Anger. Some of them were merely circumstantial limitations. Caring for young children or aging parents. Menopause. The contrast between these and the beautiful table was stark. And it hit me.

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies."  How often my attitude says to God, in effect, "Make my enemies go away, and then I will commune with you." He wants to satisfy me as I allow him to deal with my "enemies", but I want none of it. 

So I sat and ate. I drank my whole glass of juice (we are Baptist, after all). It was delicious. And satisfying. I pray it's a lesson I will not soon forget.

For truly, my cup overflows. 
 And whatever enemies I may have 
are no match for Him.

4 comments:

Joy said...

Oh Tracy what a beautiful communion table. I like that you didn't just nibble but feasted.
What an impression that makes to see the things in our lives that hinder us and then to see the communion table. I guess there will always be an enemy (hindrance, distraction) while we are on this earth, but He is still there with the table prepared.
Thank you for this. I needed this today.

Joy

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

Amazing Post! That is sooo refreshing you are right. And what a lesson to continue to learn.

Keep being refreshed...it is refreshing us all!

stefanie said...

Thanks for sharing your lessons...

Marrdy said...

That is just beautiful. And what a great message. Can't wait to share this!