Sunday, November 30, 2008

Monkey Bread

We are getting our holiday baking underway here, and I thought I'd share a favorite recipe. You may very well have it already, but if you don't you should. We just made it for Thanksgiving morning, but it makes any day feel like a holiday!

mosaic1988494.jpg

Monkey Bread

2 cans biscuit dough (20 biscuits)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350º (my pan is dark, so I set mine at 325º).  Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray.

Melt butter with 1/2 c. sugar and 1/2 c. brown sugar. Set aside.

Put the 1/3 c. granulated sugar and 1/3 c. brown sugar along with the cinnamon into a plastic bag.

Cut biscuits into quarters and roll into balls. (Or not.  It really isn't necessary.  I cut them into quarters with a kitchen scissors.) Add a few at a time to the bag of sugar mixture and shake until pieces are well coated.

Drizzle a little of the butter mixture into the bottom of the pan. Place half of the coated biscuits on top. Pour half of the butter/sugar mixture on top. Sprinkle with half of nuts, if desired. Repeat with the next layer of biscuits, butter mixture and nuts.

Bake about 35 minutes, until golden brown. Check at about 30 to make sure it's not getting too dark. After removing from the oven, let stand a few minutes and then invert onto a large plate. Enjoy!

Notes to self:
1. It would probably be fluffier and prettier if the kids didn't roll the dough balls to death.
2. Pretty is over rated.


10 comments:

Joy said...

My youngest Leah loves Monkey Bread. I'll make this recipe with her. She'll be excited.
I have MITI today too for Leah's school I'm so excited I just found out Fern Nichols is coming to Houston in Feb. if all works out.
I put Psalm 148 in the Praise section. I usually do an attribute, but chose this chapter today instead. You are so right Psalm 103 is jammed packed.
We'll have to e-mail copies of our sheets to each other. I'd love to see some you have done.

Joy

A Thinker said...

This is kind of like that sticky bun recipe that we had at Erika's (and Lainey has made it too for the Christmas breakfast). It's even easier than this one - using frozen Rhodes rolls (no rolling!) and instant pudding mix. It takes like 2 mins to prep. Sits overnight on the counter, bake in the morning. Let me know if you want the recipe. I love it - super simple and yummy.

Michelle said...

I love me some monkey bread!

And I got a good chuckle out of your notes to self. You're right, pretty is so over-rated, especially in this instance!

Anonymous said...

Oh I've been wanting to make monkey bread for the longest time! It looks so good! And it looks like the kids had fun making it!

Aunt Julie said...

This really looks great! You're batting 1 for 1 in my household now with your Beer Cheese Soup, so I'ma gonna try this Monkey Bread, too! Hey, any chance of getting a photo or 2 of you posing in your Pop'rs Wear? If so, please send it to me at veggiemom@poprs.com - Thanks!

Marrdy said...

This is my favorite sweet bread. You have inspired me to whip up a batch!

Shanda said...

Ohhh! I've ALWAYS loved Monkey Bread! I haven't had it in a long time...thanks for posting the recipe!

I hope your Christmas Season is filled with love & laughter!

momma said...

we make this, too, but with only 4 ingredients. i've got it scheduled to post on thursday.

Annie said...

I love monkey bread! I'll have to post my recipe for it someday soon. It is SO good! :-)

MaryD said...

it works even with homemade dough... for anyone like me who lives in a place where we don't find dough of any kind in a refrigerator...