Wednesday, November 19, 2008

God's Kindness: A week of thankfulness

Ever have a song from who knows when pop into your mind and start living there for awhile? That's what happened to me this week. So much so, that I'm going to turn its message into a series of posts as my Thanksgiving celebration this year.

The song is "Your Kindness" by Leslie Phillips, based on the scripture in Romans 2:4 that says, "God's kindness leads you toward repentance." This is certainly true in my life.

I was a young teenager struggling with the realities of my parents' marriage falling apart. I didn't have an easy time making friends, and I certainly didn't want the friends I did have to have an awkward need to somehow treat me differently because of our family situation. I chose to remain silent about the matter. But somehow I knew that God knew all about it. So I talked to Him, the friend who understood me completely, surrounded me with His compassion, and cared for me as my heavenly Father who would never leave. Ever.

God pursued me with His kindness through those years, and I found Him irresistible.

I was at a Young Life camp during that time where the speaker issued a simple challenge. He said that if we believe that Jesus died for us, it only naturally follows that we would live for Him. The scripture he used has been my life verse ever since:

"For Christ's love compels us,
because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.
And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves
but for him who died for them and was raised again."
2 Corinthians 5:14-15

Every follower of Christ has a story. Mine is so simple. He found me when I was lost. I was, am, and will forever be grateful. I couldn't help but turn in His direction and follow Him.

Here are the lyrics to the song "Your Kindness" by Leslie Phillips:

Waiting for angry words to sear my soul
Knowing I don't deserve another chance
Suddenly the kindest words I've ever heard
Come flooding through my heart

It's your kindness that leads us
To repentance Oh Lord
Knowing that You love us
No matter what we do
Makes us want to love You too

No excuse no one to blame
No where to hide
The eyes of God have found my failures
Found my pain
He understands my weaknesses
And knows my shame
But His heart never leaves me

It's your kindness that leads us
To repentance Oh Lord
Knowing that You love us
No matter what we do
Makes us want to love You too

If You are for us
Who can be against us
You gave us everything
Even Your only Son

It's your kindness that leads us
To repentance Oh Lord
Knowing that You love us
No matter what we do
Makes us want to love You too

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a good song!

Tiffany said...

I needed that today. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Great post....

I miss Leslie Phillips. She was so good...

It amazes me how songs touch us.

Caroline said...

Those are great lyrics. Thanks for sharing some of your story! I'm thankful that the Lord is using you to reach out to others who don't know Him!

WheresMyAngels said...

That is beautiful. I'm glad you let God in your life to help you thru that difficult time.

stefanie said...

Oh, wow I was just thinking about that song and wondering why I hadn't heard it in such a long time. I love that verse, it's very special to me too.

So glad you let it be simple.

Suzann said...

Great song, awesome post, wonderful blog.
I'm popping by via SITS and I'm truly glad I did. I will definitely be back.

Jen said...

Thank you for helping me be thankful.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Wise and insightful post Tracy. blessings, marlene

Mimi said...

Beautiful post, beautiful blog!

Marrdy said...

Womderful post. I love the quote, "If we believe Jesus died for us, we should live for him"

Thanks! You always move me.

Melissa B. said...

Wow. A profound post. Thanks so much for sharing! On a much lighter note, tomorrow's Sx3 features a turkey of a snap. Please come by and Share the Caption Love!

Dawn said...

Great song! Thanks for sharing that! And no, I've never made much out of snow! We only see snow every 4 or 5 years and it rarely even sticks to the ground!