Thursday, November 17, 2016

Two Septembers

DSC_9060

I've always said I wished there were two Septembers--
one to take care of all the back to school, kick off the routine stuff,
and one to just enjoy the beauty.

DSC_8383

Nowadays, that's even more the case.  
It used to be that our activities really stacked up in the early part of summer
that I lovingly referred to as Summer I.
Then we would catch our breath and go on vacation during Summer II.

DSC_4397

But now fall is the new Summer I.
There's marching band.

DSC_7056

DSC_6751

DSC_0315

DSC_9929

DSC_6449

DSC_0094

DSC_0018

DSC_5218

Football.

DSC_5220

DSC_5184

DSC_9657

DSC_0781

DSC_0763

DSC_0721

DSC_1583

Chess.

DSC_1596

DSC_1625

And beauty
that just won't wait for the schedule to let up.

DSC_1202

We actually had two Septembers this year, as far as the weather goes.

DSC_1492

October was just spectacular, like a September II,
but we were still busy with all the stuff.

DSC_1191

We weren't shivering in the bleachers, though,
so that was awesome!

DSC_1106

DSC_0851

DSC_0817

DSC_0794

DSC_0868

DSC_0882

DSC_0923

DSC_0939

DSC_9196

DSC_9364

Then the truly amazing happened--
November blew in and we've had September III.

DSC_9293-Edit

It has been warm and glorious, and I have soaked in every minute of it.
It really feels like God has been hearing my plea
and decided to pull out all the stops on fall this year.

DSC_9124

DSC_9107

I'm so thankful for the glorious weather,
and also the chance to reconnect as a family.

You know what else I'm thankful for this year?
The dinner table.

It's the place where we most often check in with each other,
laugh together, and find out what's on everyone's mind.
It's where we're reminded that we belong to each other.
It's been lively and sweet lately, with everyone present and a little extra time to linger.

Meanwhile, all around us there is a lot of talking
and a whole lot of arguing this year in the marketplace of ideas--
the round table, if you will.
My prayer for my family, my friends, my church, and my country
is that when we are discussing the things we hold dear
at the round table of ideas (especially online),
we will remember that it's almost time to gather
at the dinner table of Thanksgiving
where we'll be reminded once again that we belong to one another.
Each one of us, created by God to bear his image.
Each of us with some things to say, and much to learn.
May we not let the conversations at the round table
jeopardize the love around the dinner table.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Tracy for another wonderful post. Your pictures always leave me breathless and cause me to ponder about many things. We were indeed blessed with three Septembers this fall! Winter has arrived and with it the months to enjoy home more while baking treats and comfort food and enjoying family and friends. Blessings, Jan

Anonymous said...


Well said, my friend. So glad to read this new blog post - I've missed them! And you captured our deliciously long Fall perfectly...

Carla