Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Creativity Project: Art

DSC_0080

A funny thing happened when I was getting my post ready for The Creativity Project this month, with the theme of "Art".  I had my photos all ready to go, a bunch of shots backlogged of the art I had seen in the last few months but never shared.  (One awesome benefit of photography is that it has taught me to see art in the most unlikely places.)  All I needed was a shot of this book that has had me pondering art lately.  

DSC_0099

As I set up my photo, I noticed this handy work of art that graces our table.  Bethany made it a couple years ago, and it holds the names of all our extended family members (who are works of art themselves). We pull a name out each night when we sit down to eat, and include that person in our prayers. So the prayer pot would be perfect for my shot, I thought.  And suddenly the whole scene became an invitation to see--and create--a little differently. (Those other photos will wait.) So enjoy my creative process, along with a few quotes from this book that I highly recommend! 

A Million Little Ways:
Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live
by Emily P. Freeman

DSC_0094

"[Here's] what artists do.  They pull back the covering on our inner life, 
allowing us to see things beneath the surface, 
things that, without their compassion, creativity, and generosity, 
we may have missed."

DSC_0091 2

"Being an artist has something to do
with being brave enough
to move toward what makes you come alive."

DSC_0053 2

"Maybe you make paintings, or maybe you make pie.
Maybe you live confidently in the midst of scary situations.
Maybe you are brave enough to listen, to wait, to trust.
Maybe you see potential in situations, and in people that others aren't able to see.
Art is what happens when you dare to be who you really are.
You have the power to influence, to move, to make, to become.
You have the capacity to perform the human act of making art,
of doing work that comes from deep within you and touches something deep within me.
We make art with our lives."

DSC_0087

"The more I think it over, the more I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people."
~Vincent Van Gogh

DSC_0058

"The kind of creating God does is the kind only God can do.
But he invited human beings to join him as co-creators.
Not as equals with him, but as image bearers of him,
to carry his image into the world."

DSC_0095

"Much of the beauty that arises in art comes from the struggle an artist wages with his limited medium."
~Henri Matisse

DSC_0116

"For we are God's masterpiece.
He has created us anew in Christ Jesus,
so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."
Ephesians 2:10

DSC_0056 2

The photographers in The Creativity Project are such inspiring artists!
If you want to see their take on "Art", start with S. Badiyah Austin at this link.
You'll be glad you did!  Her images are brimming with life.
Then, visit The Creativity Project on Facebook to share your own art.
We would love to see your take!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Tracy what a beautiful post. I love it <3

Buckeroomama said...

I love the idea of a prayer pot. I just might 'borrow' this for our family, too!

Unknown said...

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing your process!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love, love, love the idea of the prayer pot! I'll be looking for something to include on my table...maybe a basket. :) blessings, marlene

Unknown said...

I really love that you pray for your family members intentionally in such a beautiful manner daily. What a blessing. I also love that the book you shared had such an impact on you. Outstanding. I am so thankful you are a part of this project every month.

/SBA said...

this beautiful for so many reasons:
1. i love that you pray for your family with "intent".
2. i love that you shifted your purpose and shared that process and we got to see it as you did.
3. i loooove the "million little ways" you showcased how to see one scene and how it became a different piece of art in every photo.
4. i love the words, the quotes, the scriptures, and the feeling you left me with. that is the mark of a messenger.

Tracy P. said...

Many thanks to all of you. The whole thing was a gift to me. One thing about the "prayer pot": I don't really know where I first heard the idea. I am sure I meant to implement it years ago. But it just sort of popped up when this art project arrived on the table looking for a purpose. Just when some of the meaningful things we did with our little ones had lost their luster, God brought it back to mind, and the kids were all for it. It is sweet how He stays active in our growing family's life.