Thursday, October 20, 2011

Unless a kernel of wheat falls

DSC_0041

Fall is so beautiful and full of activity...

but it has a way of bringing on a bit of melancholy.

Yesterday it was time to clean out the garden.

DSC_0025

The yard waste container needed to be filled before the truck came, 
and the weather forecast is pretty certain that Jack Frost is on his way
bringing the inevitable barrenness.

DSC_9999

Some of that has already come, anyway.

DSC_0008

Most of what we put in the dumpster was looking pretty spent.

Most.


DSC_0005

I look at those beautiful flowers in the yard waste, so proud and defiant, complaining that they don't belong there. They make me laugh, because they remind me of me.  Me on the inside. Wanting to be strong when God says his power is perfected in my weakness. Trying to figure out what it means to be older and maybe a little more vulnerable than the young and invincible me. Seeking my significance by wanting those around me to notice and tend to my needs. I suppose I could hang onto these beauties for another week and baby them just a little more, but they too would succumb to the frosty touch.

Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.  Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be.  My Father will honor the one who serves me."  John 12:24-26

Lord, help me follow you in such a way that wherever you are, I'll be there joining you in what you are doing. Rather than living my life with the purpose of pleasing myself, may I find the true satisfaction of trusting you. Only in letting go--abandoning myself to serve--can I find true honor.  Help me to let go.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Love your thoughts!

Cathy said...

Enjoy this post! Especially after seeing frost in the ground this morning

StitchinByTheLake said...

I've covered my plants the last three nights. In a few days they will have to come into the house. That's the way I'm feeling right now...like I need to be covered and taken into the house! Part of getting older is terrible, part of it is wonderful, and part of it is both wonderful and terrible at the same time. God's plan is a good one, not just for the plants but for us all. Those flowers are not through. They will decompose and provide nutrients for some other flower. And we must remember that what we teach today to our children, what we model for our family and friends will live on to nurture them later. That may not make much sense - just the way my thoughts went after reading this sweet post. blessings, marlene

Tracy P. said...

I love it Marlene. You got it.