Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Quinoa. It's what's for dinner.

DSC_1799

Have you heard of quinoa (keen wah)?  It's a grain that's sort of like a mixture between rice and couscous.  It's crunchy and a little bit nutty tasting.  And it's healthy!  It has protein.  You can get it at the grocery store.  


Anyway, my friend and I were downtown one day, and bought quinoa curry burgers off a truck.  They were fabulous.  Here is a recipe I concocted using this other one as a basis. All you really need to know?  My kids will eat them!


Quinoa Curry Burgers


1 cup uncooked quinoa (about 2 rounded cups, cooked)
2 cups water or chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
To cook quinoa:
First rinse quinoa in a strainer until the water comes through clear.  In a medium saucepan bring the 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low.  Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the seeds are tender.  (My package points out that the germ ring is visible when the quinoa is done--watch for the tiny little circles to appear!) Allow to cool for a few minutes.  


Add:
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other variety, if you prefer)
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 medium carrot, finely grated (can also use grated zucchini, yellow squash, anything of similar texture)
3 beaten eggs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I use Progresso Italian) 
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar


Mix together, and add more bread crumbs if the mixture is too sticky or won't hold together.
Spray a frying pan or griddle with cooking spray, and heat on medium to medium-low. Drop by large spoonfuls onto pan, and gently flatten into patties about 1/2 inch thick.  Cook until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side.   Makes approx. 10 burgers.  Serve on buns (if desired) with things like tomato, sprouts, spinach, avocado, pickles, ketchup, mustard, mayo, or other sauce. (Ben likes to eat them like pancakes with syrup.) 


YUM!!

4 comments:

Allegro ma non troppo said...

I'd like to try it! I only tasted cous cous for the first time recently, and I still can't find where it is at the supermarket. Will keep my eyes peeled for quinoa, too!

stefanie said...

bum-bum-bum! El's orchestra played Hoe Down this year and I didn't realize that it wasn't in playing in my head anymore til now. Thanks for putting it back.

These look yummy. And cute. Our family eats couscous often. I'm not sure anyone actually liked it til someone called it goose poops. Cute in a different way, I guess. See what kind of comments you get from me at midnight when I can't sleep? On to the chocolate...

Katria said...

Is that how you say it? I've wondered for a while. Looks cute!

Tracy P. said...

I like to make a bigger recipe so we have leftovers. I used 3 cups of cooked quinoa today with 1 1/4 c. cheese, 1 c. cottage cheese, 5 beaten eggs, no flour, and 1 c. bread crumbs. (Plus roughly adjusted amounts of the carrot and spices.) The consistency was perfect.