Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hello cupcake!





Each year I throw a "friend" birthday party for one kid, and they trade off. This was not Bethany's party year, but we always do something special as a family (more on that coming soon!), and make sure we honor the child with the birthday in some way (i.e. make a cake and find someone to share it with). The cake on Bethany's birthday post was at Aunt Dayna's house, and it was scrumptious! It would have sufficed perfectly, except that I had already told Bethany we would share a birthday treat with her soccer team.


Bethany loves chocolate chip cookie dough, so we found this very cool recipe for cookie dough cupcakes. Made with a cake mix and a cookie mix. Easy peasy. You can make them with any combination of cake flavor (or brownies!) and cookie flavor, scratch or mix, really. And put anything you want or nothing at all on top of them. The real wow is on the inside.


Bethany wanted vanilla cake and chocolate chip cookie dough. I had a mix for chocolate chip oatmeal, so that's what we used. And chocolate buttercream frosting. From a can. We're fancy like that. It's really very tasty! So here's what you do.

1. Buy or make your cookie dough as directed. One cookie mix is about half of a regular recipe, and we had enough leftover for the mini-cookies we baked and put on top. Place 2 dozen tablespoon sized dough balls on cookie sheet, and chill in freezer. The recipe we found recommended to freeze them for two hours, but we cheated it down to maybe 30 minutes and had no trouble.

2. Make your cake batter as directed.

3. Fill 24 cupcake cups about 2/3 full with cake batter.

4. Place a frozen dough ball in the middle of each cupcake. The batter will cover the dough while baking.

5. Bake at 350ºF for 18-20 minutes, until tester comes out of the cake part clean.

Decorate as you wish. Photos with ideas are here. Expect rave reviews!

9 comments:

Dea said...

Those look delicious! Happy Birthday to Bethany by the way!

Dea said...

Oh! i just seen your comment and thank you =] I hope the whole teen theme sits well with me and maybe I place this week! lol. And thank you for the compliment on my new look- and yes!I do want to figure out how to do that. I started another blog for photography and I did it on there but then they changed things around before I did it on here and now I dont know how! =[

Joy said...

Oh my heavens. Those look....I can't even think of a word for them. But oh yum,,,, I would love to sit down and have one with you and Miss Bethany. What a surprise in the middle.
Thing about the soccer team is they burn off all those calories playing soccer. I know they enjoyed them.
♥ Joy

Betty W said...

They look really yummy and I´m really hungry! :)

Dea said...

it wont let me, says my default mail client isnt installed whatever that means lol but my email is idea027@gmail.com if you want to just email me =]

Givinya De Elba said...

That looks so good I will have to check that recipe out. And then convert the measures to Australian measures. Sigh.

~LilCountryBelle~ said...

These cupcakes look really yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe I will have to try them.

Melissa B. said...

As my Daddy would say, "This is just plain larapin!"

Unknown said...

What a fun recipe...they look delicious!

Your kids are beautiful Tracy!

God's blessings to you!
Trudy