Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back to School...?

If you read my "back to school" post last year, you may have come back today in eager anticipation. It was one of my favorite posts ever, and I myself was wondering just what I might say of any consequence this year by comparison. And yes, I have also eagerly anticipated today. Because, let's just say, my kids have been needing a break from me.



Bethany is in second grade.  I LOVE second grade.  Taught it for many years.  She has been so excited about having Ben's teacher from last year, and having her best friend in her class.  And this year she knows lots of kids in her class.  Nice ones.  Couldn't be better.  Right, Bethany? Bethany?  Bethany!  The bus is here!  Are you ready??




Oh, HERE you are!
 

Well, as it turns out, it's hard to get up for school after being up all night with a bit of an earache. Worrying about what will happen if you go to school with said earache. Worrying about what will happen if you don't go to school. All that crying and moaning can be exhausting. Even if Mom does stay in your room to comfort and reassure you the whole time.

Well, go back to sleep if you need to, but unless you have a fever, you must face the First Day Jitters head on when you wake. Yes, you must. Because the only thing worse than First Day Jitters is Second Day Jitters. I don't even want to imagine it.

In the end, I dragged her to school late, kicking and screaming gave her my best pep talk and took her to school so the nurse could check out her ear and sweet talk her into going to class let us know what she recommended.  She thought it looked ok, and that Bethany could wait to see a doctor after school.  And yes, she has an ear infection.  In both ears.  But she was quite pleased with her day, and we are all finished with another year of First Day Jitters. Hallelujah for that!

7 comments:

Debbie said...

My daughter and I were just discussing what it would be like to miss the first day of school if you were sick. Glad yours didn't miss it..but a double ear infection...yowza!

My daughter just started third grade too. She feels like such a big kid now. And she keeps reminding me that she is halfway through elementary school. ACK! Don't say that!

MaryD said...

sorry for Beth to have the ear infections... but fun post and fun pictures despite all that! miss you guys! (and yes i know i've been lost to the blogworld lately... will work on that.)

stefanie said...

Older daughter missed the first 2 weeks of 2nd grade with pneumonia. It sure was hard to deal with the 2nd week jitters!

Sounds like you handled it perfectly. I hope her ears are already feeling better.

Caroline said...

I'm glad she ended up going to school and liking it. Your son is adorable and looks like a great kid. I could also probably make the same assumption about your daughter, but she turned her back on me, so I don't know. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Unknown said...

Mr. B's son missed the first day of school with a stomach bug... no fun!! I'm glad she made it through, but poor little sweetie - BOTH ears?? Awwwww

Melissa Lester said...

I'm loving seeing the outfit laid out for your daughter with the belt already attached to the jeans! That definitely looks like it was laid out with care. I'm glad she made it through her first day and hope her ears are feeling better. And I guess there's no doubt that your son is off to a great start too!

We are a few weeks into school now, so we're getting adjusted to the routine. Yesterday we added in ballet and tomorrow we start soccer for the boys, so we are really off and running!

Destini said...

I can remember my first day of second grade. I had to miss because of strep throat! Glad to hear she is on the road to recovery!