Saturday, January 17, 2009

More Fun Freezing Facts

Friday the temperature jumped a whopping 42 degrees! You might think we're about to thaw out...think again!  That brought us up to a balmy 6º!  Yes, Farenheit.  You would think that gigantic leap would make a big difference, but I'm here to tell you, cold is cold.

They started school two hours late today so our kids wouldn't turn into popsicles at the bus stop.  Not like we actually let them stand out there anyway--all the minivans line the streets waiting for the bus to come.  

But were we smart enough to stay under the covers???  NO!  Lee had a science experiment he wanted to try.  Did you know that if it gets cold enough, you can make your own clouds?  Here, let us show you:


And did you also know that if you blow bubbles in frigid weather, they freeze, bounce, roll and eventually shatter?  Watch this:


Other interesting facts that might surprise you if you don't live on the tundra:

•While it rarely snows on sub-zero days (clouds provide insulation, and therefore slightly warmer temperatures), the roads get very slick with "black ice".  This is ice that forms on the roads from the condensation of auto exhaust.  The road looks completely dry and normal, so it causes many accidents. The Lord was taking care of me the day I almost did a 360º this week--no one close enough to hit.

•Every car on the road is filthy dirty because they sand and salt the streets to prevent ice, and you can't wash your car until temperatures reach the teens at least.

•When you breathe through your nose in this kind of weather, you can't smell anything.  It just burns your nostrils.  It is most amazing when we get a thaw and you can actually smell things.

There.  You're smarter now.  You're welcome.

7 comments:

Joy said...

I'll remember all these interesting facts if the temperature falls in Texas. :)


That is cool watching the bubbles freeze and bounce and making the clouds.

You be careful out there. I've heard about black ice and how dangerous it is.

Have a great long weekend.

Joy

Tiffany said...

oh, I can't imagine! I'm having a fit because it's 28 here the past few mornings and "only" warming up to the 50s. You poor things!

I guess they saying is true when you think you've got it bad there's always someone whose got it worse?

Praying for your safety and your ability to stay warm! Snuggle up tight!

Melissa B. said...

I'm pretty sure this is why Mr. Fairway moved away from Wisconsin after college. He calls anything zero or below "no temperature." He also says that your neck of the woods has "9 months of winter, and 3 months of tough sledding." BTW, don't forget Sx3 tomorrow...we'll be in an Inaugural Kind of Mood!

Jenna Cox said...

i think that bubbles turning to glass and shattering thing is fascinating!! i had no idea!!! what a fun project day!

Marrdy said...

I love that you can make your own cloud. It's in the 40's here but were have the nasty inverssion still. Have to wait for a storm on Thursday!

WheresMyAngels said...

Wow, my husband and I enjoyed the video's and he is wanting to try all that fun with the kids.

I can remember the day I hit black ice on a bridge. Thankgoodness I was okay also. Scary stuff.

stefanie said...

Since I just commented about being pancaked, I figure I can continue being crude and also say that on really cold days whatever is in your nose also freezes and it feels just plain strange. Maybe I'd better go home now...