Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Confessions of a Pollyanna

"Glad this, glad that. Do you have to be glad about everything? What's the matter with you, anyway?"--Angelica

Hi! I'm Pollyanna. Let's play the Glad Game!

Or not.  I've come to a realization that makes me just a little uncomfortable.  I suppose I've known it all along.  I think that this just happens to be the first time I've had to face it head on.

It's true. I'm a Pollyanna. (NOT to be confused with Mary Poppins, who is "practically perfect in every way". No, I am not!) My cup is half full. I look at the bright side. I believe everything will be all right, and good will win out. It's disgusting, I admit it. I'm not apologizing, and I'm certainly not sorry. (Actually, I'm glad.) Just acknowledging.

What I want you to know is not EVERYBODY thinks it's disgusting!  Need proof?

Some other bloggers have left awards for me on their blogs.  (You can see them on my sidebar.) They are egging me on!  Here's what they have to say about my blog. Follow the links if you don't believe me.

"This blog is very uplifting and wonderful to read!"--Dawn at Dawn of My Day

"I so enjoy visiting Tracy's blog. She is always positive and has such wonderful things going on. Tracy's blog is great if you need a lift."--Marrdy at One Krazy Kat Lady

"Tracy has a beautiful blog - literally. Not only is it very visually stimulating, but her posts are also spiritually stimulating."--Melodie at Me and My Three Girls

"Tracy is another daily favorite on my blog roll. She has great kid stories, with great kid pictures. She tells the stories of life in a positive and uplifting way, including all the ups and downs."--Michelle at Girl Outnumbered

OK, I'm blushing. In fact, it took me a LONG time to even acknowledge them. Did you notice any patterns here? At least Michelle admitted that I include ups AND downs. I hope you saw that. Anyway, hate me if you must, don't read my blog if you don't like it. Visit these other bloggers and tell them to stop encouraging me if you want to, but in the end...

...I've got a great and amazing God who is in control, and I'm seriously glad about that! The rest follows.

Thanks, ladies, for helping make my cup MORE than half full!

P.S.  I stopped in the middle of this post to put my kids to bed. Ben must have thanked God for a hundred things in his prayer. You should have heard his gleeful voice, and Bethany giggling. I think they've caught my syndrome.  Yea for them!

14 comments:

Melissa Mae said...

Do you know that Heather's and my Bible study that used to meet would call you "perfect Tracy"? I think it isn't because you are perfectly perfect, but because you have a perfect attitude about EVERYTHING!! Sidenote: Just noticed I'm at the bottom of your blogroll... how embarrassing...

Joy said...

Tracy, you have a fan club. We know we can always come here and you don't put on any false pretenses, you are very transparent and that is why we love you. Also, you love for Jesus shines thru.
You deserve all these awards and I'm glad you are a Pollyanna.

Joy

Tracy P. said...

Whew, you guys! Way to make me feel better!

Melissa: You are at the bottom because you posted your July 4 post after another one, but changed the date so it would be in the correct order. I'm pretty sure it has not been quite that long since you posted.

Joy: You gave me an award too, which I have now finally put on my sidebar. But you spared the Pollyanna part and just told about how alike we are, which is so true. So now you should go write a Pollyanna post! BTW, Veggie Mom and Givinya and I all want to know how you do your (heart).

Tracy P. said...

Oh, there it is, Joy! Everyone, the heart keystroke is alt 3. Thanks, Joy! And no, I can't do it with my laptop, you are correct. Oh well.

Givinya De Elba said...

Alt 3! Yay! I love your blog Tracy, but tell me one thing - this post doesn't mean you've had to defend yourself from a hater does it? I'd be really sad if anyone has criticised you for being you.

You have been wonderful in encouraging me to be me, too. I'm usually quite upbeat, but I have taken a bit of a hit recently and you've allowed me to cry and scream on my blog, and get it all out of me.

If you've had a troll or a hater, just hit delete, and let The Journey continue on as always!

I had a disappointing comment recently. It wasn't meant to be horrible, but it came across that way given the facts the writer didn't know. Again - delete.

Tracy P. said...

Nope, no haters here so far! Thanks for checking.

Anonymous said...

Tracy, the movie, "Pollyanna", is one of my favorites and I've long remembered the conversation Pollyanna has with the preacher who has become bitter/discouraged with life. She says something like this (can't remember it word for word):

"My father once discovered that there are over 800 verses in the Bible that talk about being glad (or joyful/happy). He says if God said it that many times He must have wanted us to get the message!"

So..."be ye glad, be ye glad, be ye glad..."

Carla

Marrdy said...

See how can we all be wrong? You really do make people (me at least) happy. It's your faith in God that does it. You really are Pollyanna, always seeing the good!

Michelle said...

That's great that it is trickling down to your kids. That's one of my main concerns - I would hate for mine to be generally grumpy. What's not to like about being a kid!?

Becky W said...

I LOVE Pollyanna and try to be like her. I feel I do have a pretty good outlook for the same reasons you said - I have a great God! I may have to steal this post idea when I am having one of those days! Thanks!

Star Forbis said...

Thanks so much for visiting my Blog out in Arizona today. Come back anytime.

I love Pollyanna! It looks like we have quite a bit in common.

Melissa B. said...

I've always been a glass-half-full person. Mr. Fairway has always been a glass-half-empty person. We've been married a heck of a long time. It must work, huh? But I DEFINITELY prefer your way more!

StitchinByTheLake said...

One of the best things about God,IMHO, is that He gives us joy. It's our job to embrace it. You do a wonderful of that and set a good example for all of us. You are full of joy that comes from Him and you are spreading it around. You go girl! blessings, marlene

A Thinker said...

Ok, question. I am admittedly not a Pollyanna. I am generally worried bad things will happen and preparing for the worst case scenario (not expecting it to happen, but wanting to be prepared if it does, ever the Girl Scout I guess). But here's the thing - I feel like I've ALWAYS been this way - like I was born with that outlook on life. So my question is, have you always been a pollyanna or did you pick it up somewhere along the way? And if so, where...lol. Because I too believe God is good and is working all things for good. And I am happy about THAT! And maybe, please say yes, the world needs both? Because sometimes my worry and preparing pays off - like when that little emergency kit comes in handy someday. Like if we we got stranded in our car today (when it's -34!), my little hand warmers, blankets and food supply would come in handy - only there because I worry some tragedy could befall us and we'll all freeze to death!!