Friday, February 10, 2012

Forties Top 40

Six months from today I will begin my second half century on this earth.  My grandmother and her mother before her both lived to begin their third, so rather than approaching this milestone feeling pressured to make the most of what little may remain of my years here, I feel the need to pace myself.

If I had my act together, I might have started crossing items off a first half century "bucket list" back on my last birthday.  You know, 50 things to do before I'm 50.  (I know people who are really organized like this.) But it seems fitting instead to savor what is left of a decade I have loved by spending a little time looking back.

Between now and August 10, I will attempt to write about my 40 favorite things about my forties.  They will be in no particular order, because I will be sharing them as they come to mind.  One or more at a time.

Let's begin today with something obvious...

IMG_0003

Lee and my sister Dayna threw a surprise party for my 40th birthday.

IMG_0003_2

They hired Elvis to come and sing to me.

#40: Scanners. 
To revive memories like this from back in the day!

#39: Digital photography.
So we don't have to scan the pictures we take now.

That's just in case you thought I couldn't go in random order.  Because seriously?  Digital photography might possibly be #1.  Don't worry, I'll still save some of the best for last.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I'm looking forward to these posts...

Carla

Givinya De Elba said...

Can't wait for more of your 40 things!

Skeller said...

Elvis?!? What a hoot!! Love the idea of your top 40 list :-)

Janette said...

Love it! Can't wait to hear the rest. And just so you know, I'm already panicked about not finishing my list. But I'm determined to give it my best shot!!