Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Standing Room Only at the Inn

Bethany has always been my eager assistant when it comes to Christmas decorations. This year she was about ready to take it over. I was in the middle of something when she found the nativity set and proceeded to set it up on the mantle. It's pretty high off the ground, at about my eye level. From the next room, I told Bethany that she might want to put the taller figures in back and the shorter ones in front so everyone could see. Here is what I had in mind:


Here is Bethany's interpretation:


She put the smallest figures closest to Jesus, and the taller ones behind them, so they could all see the Guest of Honor. Good for her. It's not all about us anyway.

I wonder. Who else could we put ahead of ourselves, so they can get a closer look at Jesus?

10 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

Looks like Bethany's answer to your question would be "farmyard animals!"

I mustn't be particularly reverent, because that thought gave me a smile :)

Givinya De Elba said...

But on a more serious note, I've been reading the story of Zacchaeus to Anna-Lucia these last 2 bedtimes. He could have done with someone putting him (physically) ahead of themselves so he could see Jesus. Thank God (literally) for that sycamore.

The Accidental Housewife said...

It is wonderful when kids see the true meaning of things so clearly!

Betty W said...

Great thought. Will ponder on that....

Melissa B. said...

Well, I guess it's all a matter of perspective, correctamundo? Bethany was putting herself in the manger scene, and since she's small, knew right where to stand!

Julie said...

:) I love that nativity scene... where did you get it?

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh my goodness....what a perfectly wonderful post! I want to remember this for a long time. Am I pushing to get to the head of the line or letting others go ahead of me. I'm not smiling at my answer. blessings, marlene

Grammy Staffy said...

Marlene got me to visit your post. I am glad that I did. What a sweet thought....I will ponder it.
Have a great week.

Joy said...

Thank you Bethany and Tracy for this sweet post. It's not about us. I hope this year I put some closer to Jesus to have a better look. ♥ Joy

Val said...

I love this. Marlene sent me here and it was so worth it. Merry Christmas!