Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Thrill of Victory


Did you see it?  Tell me you didn't miss it.

Flashback to 1972.  Munich.  Jim McKay anchors from the press box as Mark Spitz does the unprecedented, the unfathomable.  Seven gold medals.  Impossible!  It was an Olympics to remember.  (Trust me, those of you who weren't born yet, it was.)

But aren't they all?  I just remember that one so well because I was a swimmer, and Mark Spitz was my greatest hero of all time.  The reality is, our family watched Jim McKay week in and week out on the ABC Wide World of Sports.  Can't you just picture that skiier wiping out big time during the intro, week after week?  (Yes, Dave, you can, can't you?)  We just couldn't get enough.  And I still can't.  I just love a hard-fought victory.

Athleticism.  Sportsmanship.  They both showed up in all their glory Sunday night in Beijing. So did you? Did you see Jason Lezak come from behind with a pretty much miracle performance to beat the French team who had promised to smash the Americans?  Michael Phelps may get his eight gold medals, but one of them belongs to the sheer determination of Jason Lezak, who overcame the agony of previous defeats to prevail.

And did you see our guys afterwards?  Yes, they were fueled by comments of the French, but they were so classy about it in the interviews.  I don't ever remember enjoying a race or a medal ceremony more.

Yes, I was a swimmer.  I know what it is to be totally committed to my sport.  (Oh wait, gotta go see Rebecca Soni swim the 200 breaststroke finals....I'm back--she won her first gold medal. World record!  Yea!!  Gives me goosebumps.)  It taught me the discipline and focus I needed to be a totally committed follower of Christ. (When the Olympics aren't on TV.)  The apostle Paul used athletic imagery several times in his writings. This is one of my favorites, from 1 Corinthians 9:24-25:

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?
 Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. 
They do it to get a crown that will not last; 
but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

And there's this one, Hebrews 12:1:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, 
let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, 
and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

And finally, Lord please qualify me to make this declaration from 2 Timothy 4:7-8 my own as I reach the ultimate finish line:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  
Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, 
which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--
and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

"This is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith."  1 John 5:4

12 comments:

Sydney said...

With so many blogger knocking the Olympics, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's loving every minute of it! Even my three year old is caught up in the action! Of course, typical boy... his favorite sport so far is womens beach volleyball! thanks for stopping by my blog! I always love hearing from/reading from people who are also in communications!

Marrdy said...

I love the Olympics and have watched since I was old enough to understand. And I do remember Mark Spitz and all those metals. Do you remember John Nabor? He was set to compete in Russia until we didn't go, but, he did win 5 golds in swimming at the next Olympics. I had a chance to meet him while he was in SLC and what a wonderful person he was. He said winning a gold metal was like reading a good book and turning over the last page. I have always loved that analogy.

Debbie said...

I LOVE THE OLYMPICS and I love that we can watch them live because I hate the tape delay stuff. That relay the other night was nothing short of miraculous. That guy was 32 years old and he shut those mouthy Frenchies up. I was soo happy. I am big swimming fan and hate when the first week is over....It is so fun to watch...and I love your Bible verses that speak to the truth of sportmanship, sport, persistence, and determination. Great post TP!

Tracy P. said...

Oh yes, Marrdy! John Naber was a backstroker. I heard him speak at a dinner held for the swimmers who participated in an Olympic Development meet in our town. And he told how swimming was the second most important thing in his life, after his relationship to the Lord.

Givinya De Elba said...

I have totally loved watching the olympics! And I haven't felt those national boundaries like I should have. I have been overjoyed to see wins by athletes from all nations. Inspiring.

The comment you left on my blog was SPOT ON! If only kids could be as thankful as we would be for a proper vacation, hey?

A Thinker said...

In response to your question, yep, we're watchin!

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=521969&catid=14

I'm getting a little irritated though at the internet news sources who keep spoiling the results for me. Tonight we had to go out so I DVRed it and there are the swimming results splashed all over the opening screen on AOL. So yes, I LOVE the Olympics - but I wish they'd put "for results, click here!"

StitchinByTheLake said...

Excellent post Tracy. I'm not anywhere ready to go, and I'm not an athlete of any sort and can't even swim, (well I can sort of but that's another story), but I hope when I do go that God will think I ran the good race of life carrying His torch! blessings, marlene

Aunt Julie said...

I particularly love watching the swimmers, although they're on so late at nite (I'm EST). Phelps is pretty amazing, but the swimmer who really blows me out of the water (so to speak) is Dara Torres. I'm staying up late again tonite to watch her final in the 50-free--also known as the splash & dash. Pretty amazing stuff!

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yours is so pretty.

I have been watching the Olympics off and on, you just can't miss those awesome swimmers, wow!

Anonymous said...

Cold for fall... Im still cutting grass in December.... ugh!, smile

Dawn said...

Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed the visit!

Jen said...

The Olympics has to be my favorite thing to watch, EVER. I'm never disappointed, even when the US doesn't win. The pride the athletes have to compete for their countries is amazing. Lezak was fantastic. I watched on the edge of my seat. I love all sports and the sport of life is my favorite. I want to fight that good fight and finish the race.