Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Out West Road Trip: There's no place like home!



Well, we're back in full swing at home. We've had a lot of fun recounting our favorite memories of the trip, but in the end, the kids' favorite things were swimming, mini-golf and ice cream. All available within five minutes of home. And, truly, good stuff.

I got to wondering one day when we were having battle royale getting the kids to leave the campground to go rock climbing (which they LOVED once they saw what we were talking about)... what familiar and comfortable and pleasant things do I hold so tightly that I am missing out on the unfamiliar but oh-so-amazing things God has in store for me?

Reminded me of an old favorite C.S. Lewis quote:

"It would seem that our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."

I pray that I would not be guilty of saying "no thank you" to the offer of adventure that is the life of real faith.

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

3 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm afraid I'm really guilty of this Tracy. I often take 2 steps back when faced with a new adventure, like teaching a Bible Study, even though I know that I will love it when I get in the middle of it. I look long at my calendar and have lots of excuses to put it off. I'm working on being more adventurous and excited before the fact instead of after the fact! Blessings, marlene

Debbie said...

What a great great reminder....so convicting.

Britt said...

I love C.S. Lewis .. he just has a way about his words that hit me right *here*

Ditto to Debbie, what a great reminder.