Saturday, October 22, 2011

Jack Frost, 1. Me, .824. Game on.

DSC_0480

I won't lie to you.
For some people photography is a creative pursuit. 
 For me it is a competitive pursuit.  
NOT against other photographers.  
Against nature.

DSC_0482

One could find it a bit sacrilegious to battle against nature.
It's a little like fighting God, after all.

DSC_0558

But the same God who created me competitive
is the one who invited Jacob to wrestle.
Why wouldn't he do the same for me?

DSC_0545

Last February when I got my new camera
I immediately set out to photograph the perfect ice or snow crystal.

DSC_0486

When I looked at my first set of photos, it occurred to me:  it's the lens.
You really need a macro lens for that.
BUT, having much experience with making the most
of what I have, I would not be defeated.

DSC_0490

Today Jack Frost returned to start a new round of competition.

DSC_0501

I have learned something very important since the last time we dueled.

DSC_0509

I've read comments from a lot of photographers about looking for light
and shooting THAT.  See where it's playing, and putting my focus there.

DSC_0524

This morning I noticed a lot of light exposing the frost.
I did not capture the perfect crystal.

DSC_0499

But I captured a lot of beautiful light.
And I have a whole season of pursuit to look forward to.

DSC_0564

Not bad, but not all that I'm after.  I truly love the contest.  
I sense God's delight as I attempt to capture the glory of his creation,
and get a great photo--
only to have to admit, I did not come close to doing it justice.
I will happily spend a lifetime trying.

Bring on the crystals.
I'm ready.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE your attitude.
LOVE these pictures.
Love the light.
Hope your Sunday is a blessed one. Sending love.

Anonymous said...

Those are some beautiful shots. A macro lens is a lot of fun to play with though.

I captured some very cool crystals one winter and thought you might like to see:

http://www.prairiegyrl.com/2010/02/january-snowstorm.html

Have a wonderful week!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Okay. I give up. Next semester I'm taking a photography class. I am so jealous! blessings, marlene