Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful

Today was "Special Friend Day" at our kids' school. It started out years ago as "Grandparents Day", but clearly, that was a little problematic. I know our kids would have been among those left out each year, since their grandparents live across the country.

This year it was cousins Kyle and Tyler who got up early on their first day of break from college so they could make our kids feel special. This is Tyler's third year. They rock.


I am thankful. Very frequently these days I am thankful for my five nephews. All young men now, and all amazing role models for our our kids. I loved them when they were little, and while I watched them grow. Seeing them in their young adulthood, living out their ideals and dreams, excites me as I think about the future ahead of my own two.

Even better, I am encouraged knowing that another generation has come of age. In some ways they are better equipped than I could ever be for solving the issues of our day. Of their day. We all have far to go, but they have arrived to take the baton. It will be a long handoff. I'm thankful for that, too. But already, I am cheering for them, and for the impact they are having in their leg of the race. I hope they enjoy running it even half as much as I am enjoying watching them.

So this Thanksgiving, thank you Lord for the next generation. Through them you give us great hope.

"Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations."
Psalm 100:4-5

5 comments:

The Accidental Housewife said...

It's so uplifting to see a post about positive youth role models! Thank you.

Melissa B. said...

A Thanksgiving Limerick, DC-style:

I just heard that two turkeys’ demise
Was avoided, to their great surprise.
The big turkey in power,
In the eleventh hour,
Gave them pardon, along with the pies.

Hope you and yours have the Happiest!
(And no, I did not write that limerick...but I did Google it!)

Dea said...

Aw, how sweet! Good role models are good for people of any age and its great that your kids have such great guys to look up to! Hope you had a happy thanksgiving!

Joy said...

That is so sweet of them to come to the school for B & B.

Paige's new school Legacy had Grandparents day on Monday. Well we don't have grandparents living within 900 miles of us. But Paige called my parents and they flew out for it and really enjoyed it. They stayed for Thanksgiving and will leave tomorrow.
Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving today.
...your nephews are really cute:0


Joy

MaryD said...

Good job, Tyler and Kyle! I remember that fun day from some years back... and thanks for being such an encouragement to your nephews, Tracy! Miss you all!