Sunday, March 7, 2010

Redeemed

Note: I started writing this little series of posts about redemption several months ago. In the middle of it, I was overwhelmed by the triteness of my words compared to the magnitude and richness of the topic, so I never posted them. As I've been taking more time to reflect during Lent, I think that God's plan of redemption still deserves attention, even from one as weak as I am. May you be blessed by his greatness in the midst of feeble words.

Lately it seems that God is trying to get my attention. I am in awe that he invests the effort. I truly love him for that. This time what I'm noticing is that there are messages of redemption all around me. It's no coincidence.

A couple of years ago I decided to make a conscious effort to read more books. I've read a lot of reviews, and did a Facebook thingy where you list 15 books that have stuck with you and ask your friends to do theirs. Recently I have read these excellent books which came highly recommended by multiple friends:


You know what I've noticed? Redemption sells! I've found myself wondering why it's so universally appealing.

It occurs to me that the one place in life you see the word redeem is on a coupon.

"Redeemable for one free Whopper with the purchase of another."
"Redeemable for 30 cents off one box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

Other words on the coupon include:

"Not redeemable for cash."
"Valid only at participating locations."
"Coupon cannot be sold, transferred or duplicated."

I am not a huge coupon collector, but even so I have quite a few of them. You know what happens to most of them? Nothing. All these valuable coupons, now worthless. Why? Because I never redeemed them. How do you redeem them? You take them back to the one who issued them in the first place, or someone acting as their agent. Their value is absolutely, completely tied to the one who made and distributed them.

Why does redemption sell? We all want to know we have value. We were not made to be cast aside or thrown away. We have a maker. He is also a redeemer. He created us with infinite intrinsic worth, and gave us a longing to live as his children. Apart from him, whether we understand it or not, we ache for what we could be. We were born for redemption.

"...put your hope in the Lord, for with the Lord is unfailing love and with him is full redemption." Psalm 130:7


5 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

I love your thoughts - alway enjoy reading what's been on your mind!

Joy said...

Glad you decided to post this Tracy. It is so good. You know when you talk coupons I'll listen. hehe. Really though, I enjoyed the word pictures of redemption. They are not valuable if we don't use it.
I'm studying Romans 8 right now with my Bible Study and how even creation and us are longing for redemption.
Can't wait to read more.
♥ Joy

Betty W said...

I agree with Joy. I´m glad you posted this. Very well written and so fitting for this coming Easter holiday.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Part of my search for redemption is always the knowledge that I can't and didn't earn it. Just like the coupons it was given for free. God is so good. blessings, marlene

stefanie said...

Not trite! Going to read the next one...