Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Superheroes

These people should win an award.  

Here they are, dressed as superheroes "Scotty Man" and "Scotty Girl"--rewarders of appropriate behavior.  They entertain our kids at assemblies every other month with their funny antics and positive message. Last night they showed up at our school's monthly fundraiser at the local restaurant to wait on tables, sign autographs and have their pictures taken with the kids, and remind them that "Appropriate Behavior Counts!".  How cute are they!!

But hidden behind those masks are the real life heroes.  A paraprofessional who works with "death students", as Bethany says.  I think that would be deaf.  He was more than a little self-conscious about going out in public with his tights on, but you wouldn't know it from looking at the picture.  What a good sport.  And a first year teacher who I would suspect, in these days of tightening budgets, may very well not be back next year.  I've heard wonderful things from parents of students in her class.  

Did they get paid for this little appearance?  I think not.  Why did they do it?  Because they are committed professionals.  They CARE enough to go the extra mile.  Our kids go to a school filled with people like this. How I thank God for them!

Who are the superheroes in your kids' lives?

7 comments:

Julie said...

that is awesome, my kids are too little right now. They think we are their superheros!

A Thinker said...

Cute post! Ben's speech therapist is definitely his superhero...and ours. For a year, she has managed to make speech therapy something fun and engaging for him. He loves going, is eager to do his homework and talks about "Hayer" (Heather) all the time. Truly, I think he has a little crush on her. Oh so cute.

Joy said...

Hey is that Culvers?
Great picture and your right about those heros in our kids lives. People who go the extra mile are great role models for them. Great lesson they are teaching too.
My 9 yr old describes her year as the most awesome year ever at school. It takes some pretty phenomenal teachers to get those kind of reviews. We are so blessed also with some wonderfully devoted teachers at our elementary school also.
Love Bethany's bright heart shirt. She's so cute.

Joy

Tiffany said...

Wow, teachers who teach because they care about the kids and really want to make a difference in the life of a child? No way. Those don't still exist, do they?

Unfortunately, they are few and far between these days, I'm afraid.

Tracy P. said...

Hmm, sorry to hear that, Tiffany! They must all live here or something. ;-)

Marrdy said...

How cool are they? My kis can each tell you who their favorite teachers were and they were they best teachers they had. My kids are too old for me to be their hero anymore.

Tiffany said...

I know I already commented on this post - but I tagged you on my blog today for a meme. I hope you'll check it out and participate.