Saturday, June 6, 2009

The answer is...

Whoa!! I knew I had amazing readers, but I had no idea!  I salute your superior sports savvy.  In case you don't know what I'm talking about, click here to take my little umpiring challenge, and then come back for the answer.  I'll wait...


Are you ready?



Ben was...



Safe!

Not to mention happy!!

Because, as my first-time visiting nephew Danny (along with the rest of you) so quickly pointed out, the force wasn't on so he needed to be tagged.

And yes, his coach told him to slide.  I could only wish he was thinking he could save me some laundry.  I think he might have been thinking he could save himself having to take a shower.  Think again!

After his stand-up triple, they put him in to pitch a couple of innings.  It's so hard to believe he's old enough to do this!




Steeeee-rike!

Note:  After all those observant comments, I thought I was the only one in the dark.  Thanks to my very astute Australian friend for asking for better information! 

If one of Ben's teammates had been at second so that Ben would have had no choice but to go to third and stay there, and if the ball had gotten to the third baseman's glove before Ben's foot touched the base, Ben would have been forced out, having nowhere else to go.  Since he could technically have turned around and tried to run back to second because no other runners were there, he had to be tagged out with either the ball or the glove that it was in.  As Ben added, "The ball was thrown too high for the third baseman to tag me in time."  So true!

11 comments:

Joy said...

He looks like an all-around good player. So glad he loves the game. I think it is a great team sport for any kid.
Wow! a triple. That is awesome!
I was wondering how he ended up at 3rd.

Joy

Betty said...

Sports are such a good way to keep your kids busy and happy! I hope Ben keeps on enjoying this game and succeeds in becoming a mayor player!
He sure looks like he´s enjoying himself!

Dea said...

Yay! So glad he was safe. What a cool game to play on your blog! Its awesome that you love coasters to! Anyone who does is always at the top of my list! Lol. And it certainly is a bummer but hopefully we will find a good solution =]

Givinya De Elba said...

He really looks like he knows what he's doing out there!! I, along with most Aussies, know nothing of baseball, so I was of no help whatever. I tried to learn something through your post, but didn't understand much ... "the force wasn't on so he needed to be tagged" ?? Maybe I need a quick trip to the US and Canada to learn the finer points, and to visit all my bloggy friends in person!!

Tiffany said...

Way to go, Ben! Pitching, too? That's great. Not everyone (as I'm sure you know) is honored enough to be asked to pitch! Great job!

And, Tracy, once again, your pictures capture every play perfectly! I think I need your camera!

Melissa B. said...

Wow, such Superior Snaps, on this post and the previous! I would have called him safe, too. It looked like there wasn't a runner coming into the base behind him, so doesn't the fielder have to tag him? BTW, don't forget: Please come on over and check out my Silly Sunday Sweepstakes!

Destini said...

Looks like fun! Thanks for the concern! I am still alive and kicking. We finished school and are finishing up soccer. Life has been very full and we continue to be blessed with work. Just getting ready to upload some pictures...hopefully I'll find some time to put some thoughts with them! Thanks again for checking in!

stefanie said...

Love the pictures. The explanation was in a foreign language that I do not speaketh.

Tracy P. said...

But Stefanie, I bet you know offsides when you see it!

Marrdy said...

I love summer sports. Hot Dogs, Coke, Popcorn and little boys playing baseball!

Skeller said...

you're speaking a language (sports) I do not know (smirk), but I LOVE your pictures!!! :-)

yay for Ben!