Thursday, May 14, 2009

Refreshed! (finale): God's sheepdogs

At the end of the day, it is time for the shepherd to take the sheep home to the pen, where they can rest in safety. Throughout the day he has led the way, and while most of the sheep have followed, somebody has to herd the stragglers back onto the path. That's why the shepherd has his trusty sheepdogs to follow the flock and make sure they get home. The "sheepdogs" in the psalm are some wonderful characters: Goodness and Mercy. 

Here is one of the things I love most about my Heavenly Father: He pursues us. He did it for me, and He has done it for my husband and kids. Once He gets your attention, you can't help but notice how irresistible He is: the kind of God who trails us with his goodness and mercy. Not guilt. Not legalism. Not fear. And once he catches up with us, HE STAYS.  All the days of our lives. Because we might get off the path, or stuck in a thistle bush.  He'll be coming right behind us...with Goodness and Mercy. 

Forever! I can't even imagine, but I sure have fun trying. Oh to be truly HOME in the presence of Christ. 

I may not be home yet, but at least for today, I can let Him catch up with me so I can bask in His goodness and mercy.  

I am amazed that several of you have waded through this series with me.  It has seemed like a lot of words, but God's truths are life-giving, and I am grateful that they have ministered to some of you as they have me.  May you be blessed with peace that comes from resting in His presence, hemmed in by goodness and mercy.

Note:  Our leader used the book Traveling Light by Max Lucado as much of the foundation of her teaching for this retreat.  I would highly recommend it, along with the fiction classic, Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard, which gives a stunning depiction of God as our shepherd.  

7 comments:

Julie said...

Amen, isn't it nice how much God loves us. It overwhelms me. Thanks for your series and sharing!

Destini said...

Thanks for sharing your life lessons from your retreat! Sounds relaxing and life changing. Praying that the sense of peace and restoration continues to flow for you in the days ahead. Yea for Bethany and the plunge! I remember the day my oldest 2 were dunked...they went together. I could hardly take pics through the tears! Love it! :) Enjoy your day,
Destini

Joy said...

Tracy I'm so glad you have been sharing these post. I was going to ask you if your retreat leader used a book besides the Bible for her ideas. Max Lucado has a gift doesn't he. I know this was a very meaningful and impactful weekend for you.
Our pastor just said this past week at church that in Psalm 23 that the word follows would really be best translated as pursue. You said it too. (now I know its true if Tracy says it) just kidding :)
I went on a women's retreat with my ss class back in October.It was great, but I can't remember much of the lessons. My memory is dimmed by the cat pee that was on my bed. The place was out in the country in a beautiful spot in texas. My roommate and I kept smelling cat urine in our room. We could not figure out where it was coming from. Well the next morning when the light was better I found the pee stain at the foot of my bed. Just gross. The rest of the weekend was a blur. They call me cat woman now. So I have enjoyed walking thru your retreat with you minus the cat urine. :)

Joy

Aunt Julie said...

Beautiful. Peaceful. Lovely. Inspiring. Thank You!

Melissa B. said...

I'm learning so much from you and these inspirational posts. Thanks gobs for sharing! Now, I need YOU to do ME a favor, OK? Make sure to stop by my Silly Sunday Sweepstakes today...I've got a Big Fish Tale to tell!

stefanie said...

Thanks. Goodness and Mercy are good traveling companions!

Joy said...

Hey Tracey, Guess what, I was walking thru a discount store today and saw the book Traveling Light by Max Lucado. I remembered you said your leader at your women's retreat used that book.
I bought it. I'm looking forward to reading it. You did such a good job with the picture. I think he should republish it with all your pictures. :)
Got it for $3.00.
wooohoooo.
♥ Joy