Friday, September 18, 2020

A Place Like Home

On the second (and last) day of our mini-vacation, we went to a place that I've loved forever.

I wrote about it years ago, and it remains true--

I somehow get reunited with part of my heart whenever I visit Gooseberry Falls.

Not only the falls, but just as importantly, the path down to the lake and beyond. 
Oh my, we have some good memories there.







I figured we would be ahead of the peak of fall leaf color, 


but I didn't realize how amazing the wildflowers would be.


As I always say, here's to the late bloomers!





Lee wanted a photo of me in my happy place.





We zipped through Duluth, 
a place that actually was home for me, once upon a time.
Now it's mostly all under construction.



The seagulls don't care.  Thankfully some things never change.


Last stop was Enger Tower, the place to really see the harbor and the rest of the world.




This is just the tiniest taste of the views.  The grounds around the tower are also stunning.


This year 2020 has thrown all of us a lot of curve balls.

I'm so thankful that when it began, 
when the anticipation of the grandest adventure (the one we didn't go on) was beginning to build,
I wasn't wishing away my year thinking this one dream trip would make my whole year worth living.

 I'm quite capable of doing that. But I didn't.

Many years ago I realized this verse wasn't a get rich quick scheme.
It's a promise from God,
 a promise that he can actually satisfy me regardless of my circumstances.
He can enable me to want his presence more than anything--
so that in disappointments, I'm not coming away empty-handed, but hand-held.
He frees me to find him in every kind of moment,
and know that he is what my heart really wants, above all.

No comments: