Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Refreshed

I had the privilege of spending this past weekend with a very sweet group of women from our church on a retreat.  The retreat center was a beautiful, serene setting, and although rain was predicted, we enjoyed a full day of warmth and some sun on Saturday.

The theme of the retreat was the twenty-third psalm.  Though the psalm is comfortingly familiar, we were given many insights and experiences to help us understand far more deeply the significance of its beautiful imagery.


I didn't realize what a desert region the Psalmist was describing with the reference to green pastures.  We think of the lush green fields you would expect to find in, say, Ireland.  After all, the promised land was flowing with milk and honey, right?

Well, it turns out that there was enough for those sheep to eat, but really, just enough for today.  The sparse vegetation could sustain the flock, but the flock must be on the move.  But the shepherd always knew where the next meal would come from!

And very much like that, God meets all my needs.  If I am worrying about how tomorrow's needs will be met, well, he won't be too likely to concern himself with handing me the map to the next pasture.  Why would I need a map, when he's going with me? He wants me to keep my eyes on him, to trust him, and follow him.  He knows where he's going.

5 comments:

Jen said...

So very true.

Tiffany said...

How do you always say what I need to hear?

KatBouska said...

I needed to hear that today too! I've decided to make a change in the daycare that I've NEEDED to make, but will cost us close to 2,000 dollars a month. I need to do it for my sanity and I need to know that it's in God's hands. Our needs will be met.

Betty said...

I agree with Tiffany. This is exactly what I needed to hear! Sometimes we forget that HE is with us every step of the way!
Thank you!

Marrdy said...

Tracy-Can I say again how much you inspire me. Maybe you should write a book. This is beautiful and I lvoe the pictures.