Saturday, November 8, 2008

Pay it forward

There are many moments in life where we receive a gift--not really a present, not for a special occasion--but a gift that we could never begin to repay. The great thing about gifts like these is, not only are they useful and timely, but the giver expects nothing in return. The best way to show thanks and honor is to pass the gift along.

We are blessed in so many ways. Just the other day, Ben was saying that he is probably one of the luckiest people in the world. (Not his sentiment ALL of the time.) He understands that he has more love and more things than the average person on this planet could ever begin to expect. This is why it's a blessing when we are given a great opportunity to pass our abundance along.

Our church is one of many around the country (and world) that promotes Operation Christmas Child, an effort to send Christmas gifts to impoverished children, along with practical assistance and a message of hope. This year our kids were excited to participate, and to earn money to buy gifts themselves. In fact, they were actually the ones who took the initiative! So Christmas came to our house this week (complete with snow!). The kids went to work making cards, wrapping boxes and packing their treasures.  We are thrilled that they know that God is the giver of all good gifts, and that they can pass along the gift of the good news about Jesus to other kids.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Operation Christmas Child!!!!

stefanie said...

I love to see my kids initiate; I understand that feeling you had.

Yes, Ben is right!

Awesome collage, wish I had captured more moments like this.

somethinghere said...

That is so great, getting the children involved in the gift giving. And for a good cause!
You have lovely children!

StitchinByTheLake said...

We've participated in this project for several years at my church too Tracy and it's heart-touching to see all thos boxes stacked up and ready to start their journey. blessings, marlene

Tiffany said...

We do Operation Christmas Child, too. Our kids really enjoy buying for others and helping others in need. It makes me weepy every year how sweet and thoughtful they are when putting together their boxes.

Melissa B. said...

Greetings, you Superior Scribbler, you! Now I can see why Marrdy & Michelle presented you with such a Prestigious Award. Operation Christmas Child is such a wonderful, worthy cause. Good for you for spearheading this! BTW, today I'm hosting my weekly Silly Sunday Sweepstakes. I've got a great snap, so please come over and Share the Comment Love!

Marrdy said...

I have never heard of this. Thanks for the info. I have tried to teach my children how fortunate they are and how they need to share. Seems to have worked, thank goodness.

Melodie said...

That is so wonderful! I love it when people instill a sense of charity in their children when it comes to the holidays instead of the gimme-gimme-gimme attitude that so many have at this time of year. This is something that I have been doing with my girls in one capacity or another their entire lives.

Debbie said...

I LOVE the collage of pics...and I love that your kids took the initiative. We sponsor missionary kids in our church and send them gifts...we have never done Operation Christmas..I just keep thinking that Christmas is 6 months away not less than two!