Tuesday, November 25, 2008

God's Kindness: A week of thankfulness (Part 3)

(Part two here)

"He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy." Acts 14:17

Once I discovered that God could give me more courage than I ever imagined having, things started to get better fast. I was a late bloomer, but a little confidence went a long way. I found real friendships, and quit worrying about who I wasn't friends with, and what they thought about me. (Now isn't that a gift you wish you could give your daughter!) My later high school and college years were, simply put, a feast. This was true both in terms of friendships, and of spiritual growth.

Then came graduation. I took a job at a small private school in the town where my boyfriend lived. I made barely enough money to get by, but I was excited to get a new start on my adult life. The real blessing was that I got involved at the church where my boyfriend was the youth leader. I could not imagine the extent to which I would come to rely on my church family.

I lived in that town for two years. Early on my boyfriend broke up with me, and soon after that, moved away. I would jokingly say that he took off and left me with the kids, since I then took over as the youth leader. (That was actually the best part--they were amazing.) In those two years, I lived in five different places--and not because I thrived on change. I had a car that about sucked the life out of me for all of the times it broke down, placed me in harm's way, and cost my last penny to fix. I wrecked my knee when I took the youth group skiing, and ended up having major knee surgery. In the middle of winter. Let me just say for the record that crutches and ice were not made for each other.

In the end, my car died, and for several weeks I ended up depending on my roommate and my friends from church to get me to and from work, and to physical therapy for my knee. Very painful therapy, which in the end was never successful in restoring my range of motion. So I ended up in surgery again, to break up the scar tissue caused by the first surgery and subsequent six weeks in a cast. Did I mention that I was totally dependent on others to get me everywhere I needed to go during these weeks that turned into probably a few months? I hated that.

God knew what I might not have wanted to know at the time. He was teaching me to be fearless. Not that it worked 100%, mind you, but it occurred to me later that, during those two years of barely scraping by, pretty much everything I feared happened. Plus some things that I never thought of fearing. My relationship ended. I ran out of money. I ate food from the food shelf. I lost my source of transportation. I had surgery. Twice. I had to ask for help. LOTS of help. But oh, the Lord came through! Not only did I learn to trust Him, but I also learned why He loves a cheerful giver. It was no fun to be on the receiving end, but it was truly amazing to me the way that my church family reached out in love and kindness to me, OFFERING help so that I wouldn't have to ask.

God knew that I needed to be fearless. Just a few months later I headed to the Philippines for two years, not knowing anyone. They were years of tremendous unrest in that country, but they were years filled with peace in my own life.

I think often about the two years that God spent proving to me that when my fears come to fruition, He is faithful. I never would have asked for a season like that, but I am thankful that rather than always giving us what we ask for, He gives us what He knows we need.

8 comments:

Joy said...

Tracy,
I've enjoyed reading your Thanksgiving posts. Thank you for sharing so much about your life ...the good times and the bad. I love the 20/20 hindsight that God gives us and how we see Him working in situations for our good. When we're in the middle of it we certainly don't see it and then later we step back and say "oh, so that's why that happened".
When I was in college I had a wonderful church family that took me in also, they gave me a car to drive. (they got tired of picking me up at the dorm for church) It wasn't the prettiest thing on the road, but it got me there. I became best friends with one of the girls from church that also went to my college. Her younger bro. use to tell me my car was bringing down their property values.
That was 25 years ago and we're still friends.
Happy Thanksgiving,

Joy

Michelle said...

I think people change the most in their college years. How someone handles a new adult life really tells you a lot about them.

So, I guess you could also say you're thankful for reliable transportation?

Betty said...

Your last sentence is so true, but hard to believe when you´re going through tough times.
Something my daughter is struggling with at the moment.
Great post!

Betty said...

Oh, and I wish you a blessed Thanksgiving and a great time with your family!

stefanie said...

You're amazing. Thanks for cheerfully giving this (and other) encouragement to me.

Caroline said...

Wow, this is some great stuff. I sat down the other day and just started making a list of things I was thankful for/ways that God has blessed me and I couldn't even finish their is so much stuff.

What an awesome God we serve!

WheresMyAngels said...

This post moved me to tears. What a wonderful story and how you have been shaped by it. I would love to hear about your two years in the Philippians.

Dawn said...

You are truly amazing! Thanks for sharing this!! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!