Monday, September 1, 2008

2008 Garden Chronicles: A moral victory

If you read this post about this guy,

you might have agreed with me in the spring that it was not looking good for my garden.  Not only was the rabbit wreaking havoc, but then came the hail. 

Not too optimistic, I did what I often do. When the roadside garden stores started their half price sales in mid-June, I went and bought a bunch of plants. I always figure if you plant enough, there will be some the rabbits won't like, and the less space you leave the more likely they will be to move out to the lawn and start eating the clover. I wouldn't have bet it would work when they gobbled down my marigolds. Marigolds, for crying out loud! Greedy buggers.

Well, I will never be a master gardener with this approach, but here is the view from my kitchen:

Not bad for hopeless, I'd say! Here's a closer look:

Affirmed again for planting my flowers on top of each other.  Best. Rabbit. Repellant. Ever! My husband may or may not have done a little something of his own to protect my investment. We won't worry about that.

I saved the best for Wordless Wednesday!

10 comments:

Kendra said...

Visiting from Blog Around the World...

As gardening people ourselves, my husband and I know that rabbits aren't just the cute, furry critters that non-gardeners enjoy. They're garden-destroying little buggers! Plus our dog likes to find the "rabbit raisins" in the yard and have a little snack...disgusting dog!

Caroline said...

Gorgeous Dahling! I can't keep flowers alive to save my life, I leave that all for Mr. Baseball. Can't wait for Wednesday!

Dawn said...

That is beautiful!! I'm glad you found a way to keep the rabbits out!! I wish I could keep flowers alive!

stefanie said...

Gorgeous garden!

Aunt Julie said...

Wow--looks like you have a pretty green thumb to me! Lovely, lovely gardens! We have rabbit "problems," as well as deer. My Hubby shooed some deer away from my daylilys just yesterday morning!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Tracy my yard is all shade so blooms like that would never happen. It looks so summery and cheerful, despite the bunny. blessings, marlene

Destini said...

Very pretty! See how God can make lemonade out of our sour grapes...I mean lemons! I gave up way too easy this year. I just ended up with a lone sunflower. :)

Bramblemoon Farm said...

BEAUTIFUL! I wouldn't have thought they would gobble marigolds either:)

Karrie Green said...

Beautiful garden!!

{amy k.} said...

Those are soooo beautiful! Oh how I would love to have a garden like that! (or any garden for that matter!)