Monday, August 10, 2015

Living in the Moment

DSC_0228

Meet Mr. Adventure.
Football player.
Soon to be mechanical engineering major.
I didn't even ask his mom about the things he disassembled when he was little.
I can just imagine.

Front Porch

When I arrived, he greeted me warmly, because he's that kind of a guy.
But when the camera came out, he had his game face on.
(Just like some other teenagers I know quite well.)

Chair B:W

Here's the thing.  
For some people (*cough*especially senior guys*cough*)
it's really challenging not to associate the camera with "Quit having fun and smile."
As in, "This will be two hours of my life I can't get back."
To think of it instead as, "Let's plan on you going to your happy place to do what you love to do,
and I'll just be there with my camera.  And then we'll stop and take a few for the yearbook."

Bridge

Thankfully, Mr. Adventure's game face dissipated as opportunity arose.
Me:  How about you stand on the bridge and lean on that railing.
Mr. Adventure:  How about if I climb over the other side and lean on that one instead.
Me:  Sure, whatever works for you.

DSC_0166

Hangin'

Steps

Me:  You could just have a seat right there and relax for a minute.
Great.  Hey, you want to turn around and look up at me?

Upside Down

Band Shell

Me:  This looks like an interesting spot.  How about right there?
Mr. A:  How about up there?
Me:  Even better.

Bandshell b:w

DSC_0264

Monkey Bar Trio

Beyond the gardens and the deer playground was a grown up playground.

DSC_0276

Dismount

For Mr. Adventure, there was only one way down.
He stuck the landing for a perfect 10.

Reflection

I never got to see that video, but I know it was awesome!

Dave, you are the type of guy who really can't yet imagine why you would want to "capture" one moment soon to be past, rather than living all-in the present one and looking forward to the one just around the corner.  The type of guy people love to be around because your way of embracing life is contagious.  I am so thankful that we captured some of the real you together.  I know that adventurous spirit is going to open many doors of opportunity for you in the years ahead.  It's a great gift from God.

"Don't wait for the perfect moment.  
Take the moment and make it perfect."
~Zoey Sayward

3 comments:

Deb said...

Love it Tracy! You've captured Dave's personality in your blog exceptionally well. I appreciate your time and patience with us. These will be great memories I can look back on forever.

StitchinByTheLake said...

That smile....oh my, he's going to grab someone's heart for sure! Adorable! blessings, marlene

Skeller said...

game face, laughing face, upside-down face, preoccupied face ... you caught it all beautifully, Tracy!! These are super fun :-D.