Sunday, September 20, 2009

Foundation Sunday

Today was a long awaited day at our church. We have been in the construction process for almost a year now--and the planning process for about six years before that. We are finally nearing completion. Yea! It has not come without some blood, sweat and tears, but today was a day to celebrate. We all chose scripture verses to write on our concrete foundation, symbolic of the foundation of truth on which to build our future. It was amazing to see people of all ages on their knees, pouring their hearts into what they were writing, and in essence inviting the Lord's presence to take up residence in our new sanctuary. They were ready!


As we were preparing ourselves, we looked up a bunch of scriptures pertaining to things like building, future, foundation, etc. By the time we were finished, the kids had a very tough time narrowing it down. "There are so many good ones!" Amen! They each chose two.


Notice that Ben had to write a little commentary at the top of each of his to show how they pertained to our building project.


Bethany started remembering verses she had learned in AWANA and VBS, so she had to tack on one of those.




Really, could there be a more thrilling thing for a mom to watch? Not this mom.
My verse:

I like the thought that we are BEING BUILT rather than DOING the building. It's God's job!

Lee's verse:

This verse was my favorite new discovery:

Just another reason why I love my church family!

10 comments:

Destini said...

Sure puts a lot of things into perspective when you are able to sit back and see the amazing things the Lord is doing/has done, not only in a tangible thing, such as a new building, but also in the hearts of the believer, as they search for scripture! Very encouraging!

Melissa Mae said...

I was sorry to miss this. It seems all the cool stuff happens on the third week! Maybe I'll have a verse of my own to add on Tuesday (while I'm there for a finance meeting - ha).

Tracy P. said...

You definitely should, Melissa!

Skeller said...

Ooooh! I love this idea!! Love these verses ... so much love, inspiration, encouragement, exhortation, wisdom in that Word of God, eh? :-)

Betty W said...

What a great idea to write the verses on the foundation! I´m sure it will bring blessings to your church family!

Givinya De Elba said...

I loved this post. What a great idea to put Bible verses on the foundations. What a lovely day for your church.

He & Me + 3 said...

I love all those verses. That is an awesome idea. Great pictures that will bring wonderful memories.

Joy said...

This will be a day you and your children won't forget. I know one day they will tell their kids how they wrote on the foundation of the church their favorite scripture verses. I know your Momma Heart was full that day.
What great verses you all chose.

I'm so happy for you all and your new sanctuary.


Joy

stefanie said...

What an awesome thing to do!

Steve would love Ben's commentary. Whenever kids recite verses, he always asks them to tell him what the verse means.

I like the Hosea too. Lots.

Tiffany said...

I don't know how I missed this post - but today it jumped onto my screen! I love this! I love this concept - I love the verses, all so unique yet all coming together for the same purpose. Who says the Bible isn't relevant?

I'm sure the whole experience was awesome! The hair on the back of my neck stood up just reading about it!